This IS Literacy is an initiative of the Literacy Implementation Team of the Child and Youth Network. This team’s goal is to be a provincial leader in child, youth and family literacy by 2015.
London’s strategy to “make literacy a way of life” focuses on improving collaboration among home,school and community by:
- promoting literacy to the whole community
- taking a neighbourhood approach to literacy
- promoting literacy from birth
- improving family literacy
- improving youth literacy
Some of the accomplishments of the Literacy Implementation Team include:
- Developing the Baby’s Book Bag in conjunction with the Kiwanis Club of Forest City-London. More than 3,000 bags were produced and distributed
- Promoting literacy to over 1,200 participants at the Community Early Years Fairs and Prenatal Health Fairs in London in 2011
- Supporting family literacy through community based Family Literacy events
- Selecting the Huron Heights community as the neighbourhood to pilot literacy activities in London
- Distributing more than 1,050 Family Literacy Kits to children in kindergarten, grade 4, and grade 7
- Reaching more than 500 children and youth, and 150 families who participated in community literacy projects funded through the Literacy as a Way of Life Neighbourhood Community Development Fund
- Conducting a literature review of best practices, neighbourhood demonstration projects and literacy programs, services and practices.